Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"You'll Always Look Like a Mom"

Since becoming a mom I have heard time and time again that "it's so hard to find time to exercise." Most recently a very well meaning older woman at a barbeque told me that "no matter how hard you try, you'll always look like a mom."
Midway through 50 burpees

I call bullshit.

I worked out hard before I had my twins, and I am hell bent on working out just as hard, if not harder, now. I mean, I never used to run with a double stroller and two crazy redheads!


Tire flipping fundraiser for The Dungeon on 8th


A solid workout can mean different things for different people, but in my case it's 60 minutes of lots of sweat. Impossible with kids? No. Not in the least. You just need to find what works for you.

I'm lucky in the fact that my husband runs a gym, but even if he didn't you better believe I'd find the time and place. Today I went on a 5 mile run, with the boys and stroller in tow. My husband was at school and I was far from any gym.

I look at each day that I'm lucky to be home with my babies as a day for them to experience new things and grow and learn. We spend hours playing, learning, moving, trying foods, visiting new places, etc. But at the same time, I know that I am a better person, and a better mom, if I get a chance to exercise. That said, sometimes the opportunities for a workout that I take are not the boys' first choice. Sometimes they hate sitting through a class or a run in the stroller. Ok. What's the percent of their day that I'm "stealing" for me? 4. They have to be unhappy for 4% of a single day. And I don't even do it every day!

I am writing this because I think that for some it's hard to let your babies fuss in a stroller, or a play yard, or wherever they may be, for that time. But seriously, when you think of it, 1 hour? That's not a lot to ask. It kind of sucks to blame your kids for the fact that you "don't have time to workout" or that you "feel badly" about your body. Put things into perspective. Doesn't it set them, and your family, up for a healthier future if you do "make the time"?

I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Maybe you should go break a sweat. Your littles can get a kick out of watching you look crazy ;)

**And if you need ideas for at home, check out Inspire to Perspire on Facebook :)

No comments:

Post a Comment