Monday, October 28, 2013

Skinny

So a bit off topic, this one won't be real baby centered, but I keep hearing about losing weight. Being skinny. How being healthy somehow equals being skinny. That's absolute crap. Being skinny isn't fun, it isn't sexy, it isn't healthy.

It's true, I have been working very hard to get in shape after the babies. I think most women begin feeling the urge to fit into their regular clothes soon after they have a baby. I didn't have a focus of losing weight, but I needed to tone up and get the muscles I hadn't used in almost a year strong again. I worked (as I have written about) and I am back to me, actually a better me than I was before. But this has nothing to do with the word "skinny." It had to do with being a healthy mom who could run and play with her babies, her children, and one day, her grandchildren.

It also has nothing to do with weight. I don't do scales. Scales are, in my opinion, one of the biggest obstacles when it comes to getting fit. If your clothes fit you well, or are getting looser, what does a number matter? In many cases, scales will do one of two things: discourage you, or push you too far.

I never battled with my weight until I was in college. I had a job as a restaurant manager, and I ate stuff I never would have at home. I never exercised. I was born with club foot and always believed I couldn't. One word from my mother, "fat", and I took up running and cleaned out my kitchen. I used a scale then. And I weighed myself constantly. I wasn't fat like she said to begin with, she was just cruel, but somehow that changed what I saw in the mirror. I lost 10 pounds. I was back to my usual size 4. I figured, hey that was easy enough, maybe I should keep this up and see what happens. Here is what happened:

My brother and I, 2003

2004

2005
2008
I was about 90 pounds in those pictures. Clothes fit only if I bought them from the children section of stores. I lost my period for over 3 years. Nothing I am sharing is meant to shock, it's simply meant to inform. I got "skinny" confused with "healthy." I was tired, strung out, and hungry all the time. It was exhausting. I wouldn't go out to eat, I weighed my food, I hated mirrors and photos. Doctor checkups were full of me making excuses when they told me to gain weight. I have hidden those pictures away for a long time. I didn't want anyone to see them, honestly I didn't want to see them, but I've got very thin women asking me how to lose weight right now and I am concerned.

Being healthy is different for everyone. If you eat a decent diet of fresh vegetables, fruit, protein, etc and you are reasonably active, then you should be pretty healthy. Moderation is always best. Listen to your body, and make decisions that best suit you and your family, but do not mistake skinny for healthy. Skinny isn't something you should be striving for unless you're being paid millions for cover photos, and even in that case I would trade long term health and my future for money any day.

1 comment:

  1. amen! Thanks for sharing this Claire! As you age, your body does change and its a good reminder that healthy now isn't' what I looked like 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete