Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stroller Running vs Solo Running: Calories and Speed

I have a love hate thing going on with running, which is cool, but the hate part has increased a bit since I became a mom. Now when I run it's not as simple as "ipod, shoes, let's go." Now it requires all this extra "stuff."

-Babies (25 lbs each)
-Double stroller (33.5 lbs)
-Snacks
-Drinks
-Diapers and wipes
-Toys
-Cell phone
-Rain cover
-Baby carrier
-Change of clothes
-Etc. (all of which added to the stroller and kiddos puts me right around 100 lbs)

I got all "Ugh, running sucks" for a bit, but now I'm pretty stoked about it, and I have two pretty good reasons for my renewed enthusiasm.

1. My free running (running without the extra 100 lbs) has increased exponentially! I have gotten so strong at running with all of this stuff that when I get to shed it for a solo run I am so much faster than I used to be. Since my surgery in 2009 I have had a hard time running a sub 9 minute mile, but I recently ran a sub 8 minute mile!

2. Calorie burn!!! You can easily burn nearly50% more calories running with a jogging stroller with the right wind resistance and incline. To calculate an approximate (this isn't an exact science) calorie burn for your "stroller run" do a google search for a calorie burn calculator that determines calories burned pushing a stroller (here's one http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/pushing_stroller).  Enter the duration of your workout and record that number. Then do a second search for calories burned based on running alone. Enter your weight, distance,  duration, etc. and record that number (here's one http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator). Add your two numbers together and voila!

Think you want to skip the stroller and run alone? My most recent run was 284 calories more efficient because of my kiddos. Other women are jealous of you, trust me. And if you're nursing you've got those extra three to five hundred calories you can add on top of it! Basically you're a badass mother runner ;)





4 comments:

  1. My Tummy makes wonderfully fitting pregnancy clothes that comfortably grow as you grow so you don't have to worry about being too big for clothing in a month or two. All their items are made in Europe and are free of harmful substances that can cause allergies.
    The pregnancy trousers and dresses are of high quality and flattering for the bump, while the breastfeeding blouses have zips and wraps to give easy access. The bestsellers are the maternity tops which have cute and unique designs on the tummy rather than the chest, meaning you can show off your bump in a fun way. My Tummy are wonderful to find sophisticated maternity clothing that is suitable for days out, work or evening wear with comfort and practicality in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly.
    website here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a housewife I wasn’t completely able solve my problem on my own due to some family reasons but when I saw them site on the internet it became a relief for me now I can relax at my home at anytime!!Best Umbrella Stroller

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have questions, just leave a comment below and I'll try to get to them as quickly as i can. Lucy

    ReplyDelete